- One-off customization per se is bad. This is SaaS, not a services business.
- Being paid a lot to build something important already on your roadmap can be magical. It helps you see the future. It is a gift.
- If BigCo offers to pay you a huge sum for a standard contract that also includes a requirement to ship an important feature you don’t yet have (usually > any other customer is currently paying you, or close),
- AND they are OK without any true exclusivity on it (sometimes a short period is OK),
- AND it’s on your Next 24 Months Roadmap,
- then BUILD IT!
- Because — there almost certainly will be another. Another customer that this exact, important feature too. And will pay a lot to have it in the feature set.
More on this topic and related ones from SaaStr Annual: View original question on quora